Haute-Savoie is renowned for its ski areas and the panoramic views offered by the various peaks nearby. Indeed, it’s easy to imagine Jean Ferrat singing “que la montagne est belle” (“the mountains are so beautiful”) while contemplating the Aiguille du Midi. Pour satisfaire les amateurs de ski, nous vous proposons un petit guide des domaines skiables près de Chamonix en les classant par niveaux
Ski resorts in and around Chamonix
We have selected several ski areas within an hour’s drive of Chamonix that will allow you to develop your skiing skills:
- If you have children or family members who are new to skiing, the Planards ski area will meet their expectations. Located 2 minutes from Chamonix, it offers 4 pistes (1 red, 1 blue and 2 green).
For the greatest happiness of beginners, there are comfortable and adapted facilities. You can therefore take advantage of the conveyor belts, ski lifts and chairlifts to get around.
The ESF teams of Chamonix welcome your children and leave you free to hurtle down the slopes.
- 22 minutes from the centre of Chamonix (about 12km), you will find the Vormaine ski area. This is a great place to discover skiing.
In this secure area, you will find 2 green pistes and 1 blue pistes.
Beginners will not be bored, as there is also an area where they can try out snow sports.
- The Balme-Vallorcine ski resort is located 15 km from the centre of Chamonix, which is about 35 minutes drive (via the D 1506). This ski area is ideal for beginners and intermediate skiers.
As the ski slopes of the area are spread over two sectors, you can enjoy two different terrains. On the Charamillon side, you will find wide slopes which are very pleasant for beginners. On the Vallorcine sector, you will progress under the fir trees and flirt with the Swiss border.
The more adventurous can also enjoy a slalom stadium where you can be filmed.
- The Brévent-Flégère ski resort will delight thrill-seekers. Located 3km from Chamonix, this area is next to a nature reserve and has beautiful panoramas.
On the Brévent side, you can find a freestyle area equipped with a protective airbag, 5 rails and vigilant instructors ready to give advice. On the Flégère side, you can enjoy the speed run to time yourself and beat your record. This is an area for skiers of all levels.
- Les Houches ski area is also very close to Chamonix as it is 8km away: about 12 minutes by car.
Located at the foot of Mont Blanc, the slopes of this area are used as a training ground for the French ski team. A map of the slopes will allow you to see the diversity that this area offers (you can practice alpine skiing, cross-country skiing, ski jumping…). You will find 4 black pistes, 13 red pistes, 8 blue pistes and 2 green pistes, so we recommend this area to experienced skiers (intermediate or advanced level).
- The Grands Montets ski area offers some of the sharpest gradients in the world. Just 14km from the centre of Chamonix, you can enjoy the slopes on three sides of the mountain (the Lognan, Argentiere and Pendant Glaciers).
Experienced skiers can enjoy epic off-piste runs. Freestyle enthusiasts are not left out as they will benefit from a boardercross area and a snowpark on the Lognan area.
All of these areas are accessible from our hotel in the heart of Chamonix. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us!